Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pen Stitching

There are a lot of reasons to give pen stitching a try. Maybe you don't have access to a sewing machine, . . . maybe you don't want to spend a ton of time hand-stitching something, . . . or maybe you want to create an intricate design or stitch in a space where a sewing machine head won't fit! That was exactly my scenario on the layout below.




I had already stitched some buttons to the layout when I decided to cut the background into a bracket frame shape. I wanted to give it some more detail and thought of outlining the edge with a black pen. But then I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to stitch around the edge?!"




I knew it would be time consuming to follow the curvy edge. Also, I had buttons sewn close to the edge that would prevent my machine from making a decent stitch. That's when I decided to use pen-stitching. Below I'll show you how to make it look real!





First you want to go around the edge with a paper piercer. Pierce holes in even increments. It takes a little bit of time, but is well worth it in the end when you have a pen stitch that looks real!





Next, use a pen to draw lines in between your pierced holes. Be sure to "follow" your stitch into the hole so the ink gathers a little bit there, creating your authentic-looking "stitch". Don't worry about them all looking the same. It will look more realistic if they vary a bit.



When you are finished you have a stitched border that looks like you spent hours creating it!
Here is another example of pen-stitching. You can create intricate-looking swirls and other designs! Let your imagination go wild with this technique! Have fun!




3 comments:

Adrienne said...

WOW! What a great tip!

Noel said...

Yeah....I love, love,love,love this tip!!! :)

Amy Wing said...

Fantastic shortcut! I've been wanting to do more stitching but I'm a little afraid of free-stitching... this is perfect!

Your blog is amazing, btw.