Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Stuck on Mod Podge

For some, the very words Mod Podge bring psychedelic visions of decoupaged furniture and ‘artwork’ from the 1970’s. But Mod Podge has made quite a comeback in the world of scrapbooking and altered art.

My first encounter with this gooey adhesive was 3 years ago, when I decided to alter an album cover. I had heard of people using Mod Podge to achieve the look I was going for, so I went out and bought a 16oz jar of Matte finish Plaid brand Mod Podge. (I am still using the same jar 3 years later…no one told me just how far this stuff will go!)

Armed with foam brushes, patterned paper, and other various embellishments, I tackled the somewhat daunting task of altering an album. After carefully applying a layer of ‘Podge to my album and adhering my first piece of paper I knew I was hooked. There is something to be said for the ability of altering a production line item to look like your own, and I loved the way the finished sealed project looked.

Since my first foray into altering, I have become a self proclaimed Mod Podge expert. This versatile stuff can be used solely as an adhesive, or can be used as a top coat to seal your finished product. I’ve used it on metal (sand first), wood, canvas, and chipboard. I’ve altered lunch boxes, albums, coasters, boxes, even a watering can! Mod Podge is inexpensive, comes in Glossy and Matte finishes, is water based for easy clean up, and is acid free so it’s safe for use in scrapbooking.

The key to using this adhesive is to keep your layers thin when using under paper, and smoothing out any bubbles. It dries fairly quickly, so you don’t have a long wait time between layers. I’ve found that when using dimensional items such as ribbons, tags, or even textured stickers, a thin top coat works great for sealing them to the project.

If you are thinking of creating any altered artwork, or just making an album one of a kind, then I would recommend investing in a jar of Mod Podge.


3 comments:

Greta Adams said...

That stuff is the BOMB!!!

AshleyS said...

great article!

Adriann said...

Nice review. I will check it out.