Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Project Runway Challenge and a Tutorial!


Good morning and happy Wednesday to you! I have a LO to share with you of my cutie pie niece! I created this as part of this week's Project Runway challenge. We were to take an episode and get inspired by it! I chose the episode where the designers were to use burlap. I didn't have real burlap. So I bought a roll of cross stitching fabric, which sort of looks like burlap! I also did lots of stitching here and chose a "fashion" picture! (She is quite ready for the runway don't you think?) I used Noel's Paper Doll kit.....which is sold out. I will also share with you how I made all of these glittery, dimensional flowers! So read on! : )

First you need your "burlap." (Do any of you have actual real burlap in your house? If you do, I would really like to know why! Practicing those sack races or somethin'? LOL! ) You will also need flower stamps and ink pads. Now for mine, I used Papertrey Ink stamps and dies, but any flower stamp and a good pair of fabric scissors will work too! I rolled my "burlap" out and stamped like a crazy woman! I figured, I would make bunches of these flowers in different sizes and save them for future projects!
Then I quickly cut the flowers and leaves into squares. It makes it so much easier to cut it!


I started making piles of flowers/leaves. :)

Now that you have your flowers cut, let's make them glittery, shall we? Start with your "naked" flower.

Grab some glue and clear glitter.......this is what I used for mine.

Slap that glue on your flower......it will get a bit messy!

Scrunch the base of flower and start pulling and curling your individual petals. We are adding dimension to the flower that will last......since the glue will harden and hold its shape!

Play around until you get the achieved dimension you would like.....then place it on wax paper....so it doesn't stick!


Then......dump the glue on top!

Once it is dry, shake excess glitter off and dress up your flowers with brads, buttons, rhinestones......layer them, or leave them be. Whatever you like! You don't have to glitter them either.......but the glue is great for holding the flower's shape, so it doesn't flatten out!


You will be seeing more of my burlap flowers on future projects......since I made like 90 bajillion of them! LOL!
Have a great day!!!

6 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Michele!!! This is GORGEOUS!!! Loveeeeeeeeeeee those flowers! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Noel said...

These are really awesome Michele! I think I may need to commission some for a future kit! :)

Jana Eubank said...

This is such an AWESOME tutorial!!! I can't wait to try this!!! You are the glitter queen, Michele!

angie gutshall said...

Love the idea to use a cross stitch sheet. Your flowers tunred out awesome!

Mel said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this gorgeous tutorial, going to buy some fabric today to make these, awesome. Just think I will use these often and a great way to save some money on flowers.

Flowers said...

WOW!!!! This is stunning! Thank you so much for the tutorial! Keep on posting some more blogs like this.