Sunday, August 10, 2008

5 Tips to Spice Up Your Ribbon!

I love ribbon- I mean, what scrapbooker doesn't have loads and loads of ribbon laying around, waiting to be used?

Here are five little ways I've discovered to spice up my ribbon and make it a little extra special on my cards or layouts.

(Oh, and I used the Cosmo Cricket Hello Sunshine papers for most of these cards, Prima flowers, some buttons, and of course, ribbon... and a handful of other things.)

For this card, I wanted a nice strip of ribbon to tie into a bow on the card, and I wanted it to stay put.


I cut a little slit on the fold on the card like so:


And then slide my ribbon through it, wrap it around the front of the card, and tie a bow.Then I added a flower, and a button with ric rac through it.

A happy little card with a jazzed up bow:I use this next technique so much, y'all are probably sick of seeing it. I'm a bit obsessed with it.

Cover the back of a piece of ribbon, trim, twill, or fabric with SuperTape.

Photobucket

Stick one end down on your project.

Photobucket

Then slowly stick down parts of the ribbon, folding and rumpling it as you go.

Photobucket

Just lovely. Look at that texture. Mmmm.

Photobucket

Here's something a little different, and makes the card unique (but you could easily adapt this to a layout):

Create a little tag (mine has paper, Maya Road Sheers, flowers, and a brad) and place it on your card where you'd like it.

Photobucket

Using a Crop-A-Dile, punch two holes through the tag and the card.
Photobucket

Layer two pieces of ribbon or trim together, thread it through the holes, and tie the tag on.
Photobucket

This is what it looks like all complete:
Photobucket

And a closeup:

Photobucket

This one is simple, but effective to make your ribbon look extra special- add a fancy little straight pin (or sometimes I use a safety pin!) and a tag and put it right through the bow.
Photobucket

Make sure your pointy end of the pin is tucked away so no one gets hurt!
Photobucket

This one is a little bit different- making an embellishment out of the ribbon:

Cut out a shape out of cardstock or thick patterned paper. Remember the color may show up a little.
Photobucket

Cover the whole shape in adhesive.
Photobucket

Lay strips of ribbon across it. This is a great way to use up scraps!
Photobucket

Turn the shape over and trim off the excess.
Photobucket

You can leave it like this...
Photobucket

Or sew around the edges.
Photobucket

I think it makes a really nice statement. You can make this REALLY big for a layout, or tiny tiny. It's got a lot of different ways you could go with it!
Photobucket

I hope this helps you use your ribbon stash in a new way!

8 comments:

Linh C. said...

Hi Virginia, I have Noel Mignon tips and techniques blog on my google reader so I keep up with all the new posts. I love your ribbon techniques!

RobinDiane said...

Great ribbon techniques! Thanks for sharing.

Greta Adams said...

ahhh yes girl...that is your secret...i never ever ever though of the super tape on the back of my ribbon for that...i always staple...eekkk..so excited you share that tidbit...LOL

jerseytjej said...

That is so clever with the heart!

Michelle aka Otomon said...

Thanks or the great tips with the ribbon! Love that last one and can't wait to try it!

Dorita said...

Thanks for sharing these great tips!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just received this techniques from a friend's forward. I've learned a lot from these ribbon tips. Keep going!

Isbel Ahmad said...

Great Tecniques....Beautiful, Thank you for sharing.