Tuesday, August 2, 2011

31 days to create



Hi all! Here is a project I made using some of my scraps from my stash. It's a handmade journal for a month of reflection/craftiness/experiments/journaling. I would say art journal, but it seems that everyone is doing an art journal now. So it's the un-art journal.



I used some Thickers, Maya Road Chipboard, OA stickers, and some paints and sprays from my stash.



The inside of the journal is full of blank, numbered pages , lined with super cute American Crafts papers.

Wanna make your own? Here's how:



Start with a couple of pack of chipboard Thickers and two pieces of chipboard. I cut mine to 5x7, but you can do whatever size works for you.



Fill up the front of one of the pieces of chipboard with lots of Thickers. Be sure to leave space for ring holes.



Cover the front of the cover with a good coat of Gesso. I used white, but you could use black, too.



Choose a color of paint you like, or mix two colors together. I prefer Studio Acrylics, but any old paint is fine.



Be sure to mix enough for two coats.



After the first color is dry, choose and coat with a second color.



After the second color is dry, use sand paper or a file to rub off some of the layers of paint.



Now you can see the layers of exposed color.



Cover it with a gel medium like Mod Podge. I usually use Studio Gel Gloss Medium, but this Mod Podge has sparkles in it, and how can I possibly say no to sparkles? Use a heat tool to get it quickly, completely dry.



Use Ink Gold by Viva Decor to dirty up the cover. I used the charcoal color, and smoothed it on with a foam sponge. If you get it on too heavy, just use a little water to take some off.



I took it easy on the backside.

So that's all there is to it! Try it out for yourself and let me know how it goes!

xoxo
Britt

1 comment:

gssfam said...

Okie dokie Britt! what if you don't have the gesso paint? i don't even have anywhere around where i am to get any! :D