Monday, June 26, 2017

{Flip Flop} Home Decor with the "Dive In" Classic Kit

It's OFFICIALLY summer! This week the design team is sharing our creations from a sketch, and I had a layout from a sketch all ready to share...and then yesterday I stopped by a crop that some friends of my were hosting to say hello.  When I got there, my friend Sandra was working on a super cute "SUMMER" flip flop sign.  When I saw her finished product, I knew I had to use her project as a "sketch" and recreate it using the papers and embellishments from the "Dive In" Classic Kit and the "High Five" Classic Kit.  This is what I came up with...  


I started by purchasing 3 pairs of flip flops from Dollar Tree, Walmart also has flip flops for 98 cents.  I bought two 5 gallon paint stir sticks from Walmart for 37 cents each to use to adhere the flip flops to.  

Next, I decided to cover one pair of flip flops in the Hawaiian floral paper from the "High Five" Classic Kit.  I traced the bottom of a flip flop and cut that out, and cut a small slit and circle where each of the 3 flip flops straps fit into the base of the shoe.  I glued the paper in place with Glossy Accents.

There were 2 paper rosettes in the "Dive In" kit, I decided to use those and create 4 more from various scrap of paper I had left over from the "Dive In" kit.  The strips of paper for the rosettes were 1 1/8" wide, 12" long, and I scored them every 1/4 inch.  On top of each rosette, I layered a 2" scalloped circle punch in white paper, and a 1.5" scalloped circle punch in pink paper.  I backed the Thicker letters to spell out S-U-M-M-E-R with the green paper, fussy cut around each letter, and adhered that to each of the rosettes.  


I cut apart the flamingo trim from the "Dive In" kit and placed one on each of the letter rosettes.  Then I pulled some of the ribbon from both the "Dive In" and "High Five" kits and adhered it to the back of each rosette, I left about 2 inches peeking out from each rosette.  


After I had everything embellished and ready to go,  I hot glued the paint stir stick to the back of the row of flip flops.  I placed one towards the top and the other towards the bottom of the row.  I used 2 because I wanted it to be fairly sturdy.  I am going to stand my sign up on my mantle, so I didn't put a hanger on it.  But if I had needed to, I could have added a ribbon to the stir stick to hang the sign.  Finally, I used a hot glue gun to adhere the rosettes to the flip flops.


Thank you for stopping by today and I hope you are having a great SUMMER!!!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the cutest thing I've seen in a while. LOVE it!

Meridy said...

Thank you!!!