Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thrifty Tip- Usin' that Adhesive

I was brainstorming the other day, trying to think of things in everyone's stash or even just home stuff, that could be made to do other things in scrapbooking.

If you are a scrapbooker, you HAVE to have adhesive on hand. Most likely, a wide variety of ones that you've tried out for different things. I have some that I have found I love, but then I have this excess of other adhesives that I don't use on a regular basis... but they are sitting there, taking up space.

So I came up with a few ways to use them up, besides just sticking things down.

On this first tag, I used some pop dots to raise up some of the sun beams cut from the Sun-Kissed kit... but that's not the innovative idea here.
I used these ginormous glue dots that I have a BUNCH of, and stuck them down in the middle of each circle of the patterned paper. I then poured Pink Paislee Pixie sticks glitter on them, and squished the glitter down into the glue dot with my finger. Once I shook off the extra glitter, the rest stuck on the glue dot. AND there isn't any "shedding" of glitter. That stuff is staying put! I finished off each little embellishment with a blue rhinestone.
For my next experiment, I used some Quick Dry 450 Helmar Adhesive to draw a heart and write the word "love." The trick here is to use an adhesive that dries quickly (unless you have major amounts of patience). Once it was dry- within a few minutes- I sprayed on some of the Chick-a-Dee Shimmerz Spritz that came in the Sun-Kissed kit. I followed that with a couple of shades of blue (which turned to green in some areas... perfection!). I then used my finger to rub off any mist on the glue areas. It left these beautiful resists and it was so simple and fast!
And finally, for this flower tag, I used Britt's tape/flower technique (which is super easy, I might add!), but instead of using the Pink Paislee tape, I used regular old masking tape. I love the kind of vintage/worn look it has.

(P.S. Masking tape can be stamped on... and inked... and misted.) :)
(A Jenni Bowlin button finishes off the center of the flower.)

I hope this helps you to look at some of your adhesives- and other common stash items- in a new way!

6 comments:

Mel said...

Oh wow, this has come at the best time, I did Brttny's flower tute last week and I am going to do these tomorrow, I love love the resist tage, and just using the masking tape is a super awesome idea, the glue dots and pixee glitter rocks, oh my I shouldn't come to this site at night, I can't sleep because you girls are so clever and motivate me too much, the mind is on fire with enthusiasm. Thanks, Melxx

gssfam said...

Great ideas! My question would be what is your favorite adhesive then?

Virginia said...

My favorite adhesive for just scrapping is my ATG gun. It is super, super strong and can stick down just about anything!

I also really love foam pop dots for dimension. Those two adhesives are my "go to"s.

Jules the Bling Princess said...

Virginia, you are just too celver!!! (-: These are wonderful ideas, and now I have no choice, I am just going to have to do those flowers. xxx

Katie Burnett said...

OOOH! Awesome Ideas V.

Jana Eubank said...

V, I am in AWE of your mad skeelz! Only YOU could figure out how to make adhesive this COOL!!! LOVE your samples!