Saturday, July 2, 2016

Summer Time Fun | Summer Lovin' Classic Kit

Hello friends!   It's Laura Whitaker here sharing my very first design team project with you today!  I was just thrilled to be chosen by Noel to join the team, and I am gushing over the July kit!  I bet you are, too!

The design team has been challenged to work with an "Against the Grain" theme this week, so I had a bit of fun incorporating that into my layout, as well!

Summer Time Fun


The second I laid my eyes on this patterned paper by Elle's Studio called  "Soak up the Sun" I knew I had to use it for my background!  It is just too pretty to cut up, ha!  I used it to pull together my colour scheme of yellow and teal, with a bit of grey and pops of orange. Yummy!

Before I share the detail shots of my layout and a bit of my process, let me tell you how I incorporated the DT challenge.  I used a wood-grain embossing folder to emboss my photo mat.  Super quick and simple!  I also thought my photo was a looser translation of the challenge, since my son is "going against the grain" and using his kayak as a paddle board of sorts. LOL!


Now for some of my process, as I mentioned I really wanted to use this patterned paper as my background.  But I also wanted to add in a bit of colour to sort of represent water since my photo was taken on the lake where we live.  I used the "Peacock Feathers" Tim Holtz Distress Crayon that came in my kit, and the packaging technique to "smoosh" some colour onto the background behind my focal area.  It is a super quick and fun way to add colour.


These two teal coloured papers from Photo Play Papers were just perfect for die cutting some waves from.  I added some dimensional foam between the layers and sandwiched my photo in the middle.  I designed these cut files a while back, you can grab my free Silhouette Studio file here if you like.


The tags in the kit are super pretty and I really wanted to use this one on my page, but it has a "family" sentiment on it which really didn't suit my single person photo, layering an Imaginisce die cut over the sentiment was a perfect solution and gave me a spot to add a few  embellishments.


How much do you love the Elle's Studio puffy stickers in the kit?  Me too, and this sun was so perfect for my page and grouping it with the flair and brad, make a sweet little embellishment cluster!


I used an Echo Park chipboard piece and another Elle's Studio puffy sticker to create my title, I love creating titles with multiple fonts! Adding in the chipboard accent, creates a third point in my embellishment triangle.

I finished off my page by stitching a piece of Imaginisce striped paper to the bottom of my layout and sprinkling on some yellow mist (from my stash).

Supply List:
(From Kit) Elle's Studio Soak up the Sun patterned paper; Photo Play Sun Spots and Bubble Wand patterned papers; Imaginisce Fun in the Sun patterned paper; American Crafts cardstock in Geyser and Lemon; Elle's Studio Sunny Days cut outs and puffy stickers; Imaginisce Sunny ephemera; Echo Park Summer Party chipboard and brads; A Flair for Buttons flair; Tim Holtz Distress Crayon is Peacock Feather; Jillibean Soup tag. (From my stash) Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Pumice Stone; Danice wood grain embossing folder;  Mr. Huey's Mist is Taxi Yellow; Staedtler fine tip felt tip pin grey.

Thanks for visiting today and don't forget that you can share your creations using your Noel Mignon kits on our members Facebook page here.

Laura
xo

2 comments:

Jana Eubank said...

LOVE this page, Laura!

Monique Liedtke said...

Awesome page Laura! Love that wave!! and awesome kit :)