Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Intro: Meet Jill


Hi there! I am so, so thrilled to be part of Noel's design team. I've been a customer of hers for a while now and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her packed kits. 

My name is Jill Cornell and I live in Windsor Heights, Iowa. I have been married to my husband, Glen, for almost 7 years. We have precious twin daughters, Nora and Lily, that just turned one. I am a busy stay-at-home mama, and I love every minute of it! I have a degree and career experience in communications and public relations but at this point in my life, I am so happy to be home with my girls! 



What's your favorite technique right now? What is your trademark?
I love to machine stitch on my projects. It adds a beautiful homespun touch and lots of texture. I typically use cream or tan thread on everything I stitch. Currently, I would say I've been using ribbon or paper a lot to create a ruffle or pleat on my layouts. Stitching would probably be my trademark. I can keep the design simple but add a lot of detail by using my sewing machine.

Who or what inspired you to start scrapbooking?
I started scrapbooking right after I was married. At that time, I just had a lot of fun buying supplies! :) I did a little actual scrapbooking but was more of a "shopper." I ended up creating a lot of layouts but took about a two year break and focused on cards and altered projects. Since the birth of my daughters, I have really been into layouts again. It seems to be major life altering events that get me back into recording family moments and memories.

What is the first creative moment you remember?
Ever since I was a little girl, I have had a "crafty" spirit. My mom wasn't really a big crafter but I was in 4-H since I was 10 so I enjoyed a lot of crafting. I learned to sew, crochet, cross-stitch, embroider, bake, etc. I was given a scrapbook as a young girl and I have momentos and pictures in it from when I was around 10. Both of my grandmas and one of my aunts helped influence my creativity in various crafts. I have a lot of memories of learning from each of them as I created 4-H projects for the county fair. 

Here's one of my favorite recent layouts using Noel's "Lemonade Stand" kit:


I created this one for the motherhood challenge. I cut blocks of patterned paper and then machine stitched them together for a quilted feeling. I love the girly colors and shabby feel of the patterned papers. 


I layered a scalloped punch circle, cut out a flower from the KI Memories patterned paper, then used a Making Memories metal flower and finally, a Prima pebble. 



Thanks for reading along today! Be sure to pick up Noel's next kit "Sun-kissed" that goes on sale this Saturday! :)





1 comment:

Kathy Martin said...

Love this page! Love the quilt design! :)