Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Dot-To-Dot Challenge: With His Own Two Hands

This week the design team is tackling a challenge called "Dot-to-Dot" where we are to use circles on our page somehow. Here is what I came up with using this month's Trailblazer Classic Kit and a few items from my stash.

WITH HIS OWN TWO HANDS

Last year, my son had the time of his life on a back-country hike with his scout troop. He had purchased a fishing license for the year and was excited to "live off the land" and catch his dinner from the stream. However, the fish must not have been used to having people around because they ended up being easier to catch by hand. My son would just reach down into the stream and grab them! He had a blast and I was thankful when one of his leaders sent me this photo to remember the weekend.


I used a base of kraft cardstock pulled from my stash, building the kit's papers up in a block design. The top half was to hold my photo, title and journaling and then the bottom was saved for embellishing.

For the circular elements for the challenge,  I used the wood dots from the Trailblazer kit and an older Jenni Bowlin journal paper that I had floating around my stash. The brown letters are old Heidi Swapp chipboard letters. I paired them with the October Afternoon letters from the kit to create my title. Below the title I wrote the journaling and added a couple of the Pretty Little Studio cut outs from the kit. I used a few of the wood dots to continue the "fish bubbles" from the bottom of the page.


On the bottom half of the page, I layered together several strips of patterned paper and washi tape from the kit. I cut them into pennant shapes and added enamel brads to the tops of a few of them. 

To the right of the pennants, I created a block with die cut fish (using my Silhouette Cameo machine). I brought in a scrap of teal paper from my stash to bring the aqua color of the woodgrain tape over to this side of the page. My favorite part? ... adding the wood dot "bubbles" to each of the fish! So cute!


I love using circle elements on a page! It's a great way to break up the blockiness of rectangle photos and layers. So if you are feeling "stuck" on your next project ... try adding a circle or two!



2 comments:

Julierose said...

I L O V E this masculine layout. I like the way you divided the embellishments and the Title/journaling circle. I have come back to scrapping after about 10 yrs away--man, has it changed!! I used a lot of plain cardstock "in the day" and now am collecting patterned papers like craze...also am retired and it's just the hubster and me--so different photos for sure....
hugs, Julierose

Donna said...

there is such a cool page............!