Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Trailblazer Classic Kit: Under the Stars

Hi, Crafty Friends! Jana Eubank here. This week on the blog the Design Team is doing a "Cut It Out" challenge where we were to cut a hole or negative space in our project, or do a bit of fussy-cutting. I pulled out a couple of photos of my daughters sleeping out in the backyard in our family tent and decided it might be fun to cut a few stars in my page to create a night sky.

SLEEPING UNDER THE STARS


I used the constellation paper as my base sheet. To create the stars, I pulled a set of metal star dies from my stash to use as templates. I positioned the metal dies on the page along with the photos to help me decide where to place them. Next, because my paper was too large to fit through a manual die-cutting machine, I traced around the metal dies with a pencil and then used fine-tipped scissors to cut out the stars. Worked like a charm!


Next, I backed the stars with the vintage map paper included with the kit. I machine-stitched around the star shape to add a bit more definition. In retrospect, I wish I had loaded my machine with orange thread to make them stand out even more, but that's okay! *smile* (Hmmmm ... I'm wondering if I could change the color of my existing white thread with some chalk or something ... I might have to give that a try later!)


On the right side of the page, I cut a strip of the Cafe Ole cardstock, and then embossed it with an embossing folder that had a tribal feel to it. I paired the "Smile" die cut in my kit with the two feather My Mind's Eye brads to top it off.


The title was created with both sets of letter stickers from the kit. I love a long, large title like this! It's an attention-grabber and the burlap really adds lots of fun texture to this page. I punctuated the title by underlining it with a piece of white cardstock decorated with the heart rub-ons from the kit.


I printed my journaling on a scrap of Kraft cardstock. Next, I ran a length teal woodgrain washi tape (from the kit) along the orange patterned paper and zig-zag stitched across the top. I used the washi tape to anchor a row of wood circles and flair badges. I love how they look together!

Thanks for stopping by to take a look at my page today! I hope you feel inspired to "Cut It Out" and create a negative shape on your next layout!

Have you picked up a Trailblazer Classic Kit for yourself this month? It's a beauty!


Take a tour through the kit by watching my unboxing video HERE.


See you again soon!



1 comment:

Renee said...

Love your page Jana!! :-)