Friday, April 24, 2015

So you mini-album


Hey guys! Today I'm wrapping up a week filled with favorite design techniques from the Noel Mignon team. I'm going to be honest here - I'm not really a 'technique-y' kind of person. The techniques I use on my pages lean more on the simple side. And you know what? I'm ok with that!

So with that being said, I wanted to share a mini-album I made using that great heart shaped chipboard book from the Love Life Classic kit along with papers & embellishments from the Hello Darling Classic kit and, of course, a few techniques I used to create it.
 Whenever I'm working with a chipboard album I always pick out the papers I'm going to use & cover all of the pages before I begin working on them. I go a bit old school & actually use a glue stick when adhering the pages. Over the years I've found it's the best adhesive. 

Once all of the pages are adhered I like to take a sanding block (mine is from Stampin' Up!) & sand the paper edges off that are overlapping the chipboard. An emery board works, too! Just make sure that you have let the glue dry or you will shred your paper. Also, sand in a downward motion.

You can see the difference between the edge of the book before sanding (left) and after (right). It just gives a cleaner edge to your book. This is also when I'll add any additional glue if I have edges that have lifted. My mini-albums get handled a lot (and sometimes by little hands) so I want to make sure they're going to last!

Once I did that I also added some ink to the edges with that great distress ink pad in the kit!

After adhering all of the foundation pages I'll go back & start from page one adhering photos & embellishments. This is where the fun starts! I've mentioned before that I don't like a lot of bulk on my scrapbook layouts but I am quite the opposite with mini-albums!

To create the journaling I used the patterned paper in the kit that had a grid & ran it through my typewriter. 

I also used my typewriter on the sticker for the back cover. I wasn't sure if it would work but thankfully the ink didn't smear!
Once you start embellishing the pages the process moves pretty quickly! I hope you all have picked up some fun, new techniques this week. 

Be sure to share your creations on the Noel Mignon facebook group and on Instagram (using hashtag #noelmignon).

And don't forget, subscriptions are currently open for the July-December kits. By signing up you get a monthly discount so be sure to head over to www.noelmignon.com before subscriptions close!

No comments: