Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Machine Stitching with Hello Darling

Hi guys! This week, the design team is sharing with you their favorite techniques and probably my absolute favorite would be adding stitching using my sewing machine. I like to finish almost every layout and pocket page spread with at least a little bit of stitching. Another favorite technique of mine lately (if you can call it that), is process videos so scroll down all the way to the end to watch my process of making this spread.


I used the Hello Darling Daily Diary kit to make this spread for the beginning of April. All of my cards came from two 12x12 cut-apart sheets, one from Websters Pages and one from Elle's Studio. Even though the cards are from two completely different lines, I'd say they work quite well together.


I wanted to keep this layout simple yet visually engaging. The cards I chose didn't have a lot of natural space for journaling so I simply used some labels from the kit and from my stash to add a few typewritten words (using a typewriter is another favorite technique of mine!).


I usually just use white thread for stitching so it's not completely obvious but gives the pages a little texture. I vary between zigzag and straight stitching.


Often times I sew through flat layers like my labels or just on the card itself. But don't be afraid to try to sew through things like the Thickers from the Hello Darling Classic kit. I use a denim-grade needle so I can sew through chipboard and multiple layers of paper and it's been quite a while since I've had a needle break on me.


It is often the case that I'm not a fan of my project until after I add the stitching. It doesn't seem like much but sometimes it's enough to change my entire mood about my project. To me, stitching just makes it seem a little more finished.

If you'd like to watch a quick process video (10 minutes) on how I went about creating this spread, you can go here or click below.





No comments: