Friday, January 13, 2017

Adventure Awaits | Little Bird Daily Diary Kit

Hey friends! This week the design team is challenged to create a layout that reflects our goals, resolutions, one little word or the like for the new year. Since I am not much of one to make resolutions and I do not really do much with my one little word, I opted to document a goal I have for 2017 - which is to have more adventure in my life.  Now I am not speaking of far away exotic adventures, but more taking time to get out and enjoy life a little more! And I really hope I remember the camera!

After giving some thought to the theme of my page, I struggled a bit as to how to document it. Then as I was sifting through my kit I was inspired by the 6 x 6 paper in the Gather collection that a grid of little rectangles. I found this photo of it in 12x12 format on the Scrapbook.com site. (Forgot to snap a picture of my piece.)


Anyway, I cut up the paper into the little rectangular pieces and started playing with them, spreading them around on my desk and laying out a grid design. Grid designs are a little out of my comfort zone, so I challenged myself to go with it!

There were 12 little rectangles on the page, so I figured if I added 4 photos I could do a 4 up, 4 across grid.  The next step was to sift through my massive amount of photos to find a few that spoke to my theme.  I didn't really pay much attention to the date they were taken as that isn't really important to my story. Instead I focused on what was going on in the photos and picked ones where I was on an adventure, whether is was near or far, or photos of people or scenery didn't really matter.

After printing the photos, and integrating them into my grid design by placing one photo into each row, my design felt a little too structured, so I pulled one little rectangle from each row, varying the position that I pulled it from.  This created a blank space, which to me felt like a little resting spot in the design. 


Once these main elements were adhered to my page, I stitched around their perimeter with my sewing machine.

Next, I gave some thought to embellishing, I knew that I could tuck small embellishments anywhere on my page.  But what about larger ones?  I pulled 3 large-ish stickers from the Hazelwood stickers sheet and removed one more rectangle from my spread and added in an extra column, for each sticker I would add.





After adding my journalling which I hand wrote on a scrap of paper and taped it to a little rectangle with some of the washi from the kit,  I then proceeded to add in small embellishments.


 I splattered on some gold and navy Heidi Swapp color shine to finish off my layout.


My layout was feeling a little blah and lost so I mounted in onto the pretty polka dot patterned paper from Echo Park (the back of the cut apart cards) that came in the kit.  All in all, I kind of like the way it turned out, and I only used 1 partial sheet of the 12 x 12 paper (as I gutted it) and 3/4 of the 6x6 paper - kind of fun when you think about it!

Supply List:  From the Kit - Echo Park just be you 4x6 journalling card paper and sticker sheet; Hazelwood 6x6 paper, washi tape and sticker sheet;  Pretty Little Studio Hello Heather cut apart flags and Belle pocket cards; Simple Stories The Reset Girl enamel shapes and phrase stickers.  From my stash - Tim Holtz Kraft Core cardstock; Heidi Swapp gold and navy color shine; Fancy Pants Flair.
 
Thanks so much for visiting!

No comments: